Friday, May 14, 2010

Fine Wood Crafts


Today I would like to feature a man for a change of pace.  Jon Fine of Fine Wood Crafts on Artfire.com!
Jon is 55 years old and live in Southern New Jersey (Mays Landing) Atlantic city area.  He loves to to bike, play golf, play his saxophone occasionally, wood work, read, and vegetable garden. He works at the FAA as an Accountant, have been in that profession for 33 years. He has two sons Scott age 24 years and Mark is 21.  His wonderful wife Mary Beth is a senior Librarian at the local library.
I asked Jon a few questions about him and his work.  Here are his answers.
How did you first get into your craft?
I guess I was getting tired of doing office type work and started watching wood working shows on cable TV. One day, I saw a guy sitting at his scroll saw making Christmas ornaments. I though that looked fun and received my first Scroll saw one Christmas. I bought books, surfed the web and became self taught and was hooked on Scroll sawing. I started making so many items and giving away to family and friends, I decided to open my own business and see if there is a market for my product. So far, its' been lukewarm but it takes a lot of promoting and social networking, and selling.

Is there any particular artist or person in your life that influences and/or inspires you?
My wife and kids are the inspiration of my life. They give me tremendous strength. My wife let me use the spare bedroom in my house as my workshop. How cool was that!!!
What are your favorite materials to work with and why?
I like to work with all kinds of wood species. My favorite wood is Red oak. It has a beautiful grain and feel to it. It takes an oil finish and looks nice. My Scroll saw is a Dewalt 788 and It's been trouble free. I make a variety of products but my favorite are the miniature desk clocks. People really like them. I believe my creations are unique due the wide variety of items I produce.

Anything else you would like my readers to know about?
I offer FREE shipping on just about all my creations. I'm in a good mood, anybody who orders anything from shop after seeing this post can take 15% off any product, just mention this writeup to receive the discount.

You can follow Jon on his blog at http://finewoodcrafts.blogspot.com/
You can find his lovely wood creations on Artfire at http://www.artfire.com/users/JonFine

No comments: